Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Extracting the Grosbeak

My extraction, banding and processing skills are really getting better. Today we were at the other part of Hodgdon Meadows.

Hodgdon Meadow Field Site

The first bird I extracted today was a Black-headed Grosbeak. Any birders reading this blog know how large the bill is. Believe me, it hurts just as much as you think it would when it bites you. I couldn't get a picture with the male (we were processing a lot of birds), but here's a picture of me with a female I banded later.

Me with a female Black-headed Grosbeak


We banded about 50 birds today. Other cool species on my list include: Juv. Orange-crowned Warbler, Hermit Warbler, Song Sparrow, and Purple Finch. Jessica, one of the other interns, got a White-headed Woodpecker.

No comments:

Post a Comment