Sunday, June 14, 2009

1st Woodpecker & 1st Hummingbird

Sorry I haven't written in a while; I haven't had internet. On Tuesday we were able to make up White Wolf, which we missed last period because of bad weather. I finally successfully extracted a woodpecker. They are really difficult because their feathers are so stiff and they really get their feet tangled. I was about to develop a complex about it; the last few I attempted, I needed help from either Jeff or Dan. Today was even better; I extracted a Red-breasted Sapsucker.


Not my woodpecker, but a nice Williamson's Sapsucker


Me with my Anna's Hummingbird

We banded at Big Meadow on Wednesday, and I finally got to see some of the western hummingbirds. The East is great for bird life, but the only hummingbird is the Ruby-throated Hummingbird. I extracted a juvenile female Anna’s Hummingbird. The juvenile plumage is really obvious, and the females have less than five red/purple feathers in their gorget. It was so small in my hand, and very warm. Hummingbirds maintain a body temperature of around 106 degrees Fahrenheit! It was so amazing; one of my favorite birds so far. I also got to extract a first year male later.

No comments:

Post a Comment